Dental Implants for Tooth Replacement
A dental implant, also known as a tooth implant, is a tiny, sterile fixture that is placed in the jaws to replace a missing tooth. It is the most advanced and expensive component of functional and cosmetic dentistry.
Do you have a tooth that hurts or has significant decay? If so, your dentist might advise getting a root canal or a dental implant to address the problem. A root canal treatment involves taking out the diseased pulp and replacing it with a new filling. If necessary, you can add a dental crown to this procedure. On the other hand, a dental implant needs the infected tooth to be replaced with a titanium implant and a dental crown to be screwed on so that you can chew normally.
You cannot compare these two options because a dental implant is suggested for teeth with a poor prognosis. That is, the decayed/fractured tooth is beyond repair.
Magnolia Dental is accepting new patients and would love to help you with your dental implant options at the best price.
This will be a fun blog with lots of doubt solving info! Let’s begin…
Is a dental implant safe?
Yes! No doubt
Indicators of its safety include:
- The primary material used in dental implants is titanium, which is strong, biocompatible, and inert (also used in pacemakers and stents). Its non-allergenicity has been widely established.
- The dentists at Magnolia Dental are trained, experienced, and licensed dental implantologists; they are the best to be with.
When is the best time to get a dental implant?
- There are one or more teeth are missing.
- Wobbly teeth dentures.
- To avoid needless tooth grinding of adjacent teeth for bridges and crowns.
Is a Dental Implant Painful ?
- The implant surgery is carried out painlessly under local anesthesia.
- The injection sting feels like an ant bite.
- The prescribed medications will manage the pain and recovery following surgery.
How are dental implants inserted?
Unlike root canal treatment, a dental implant procedure is a set of 3-4 widely spaced appointments over a period of 3 – 4 months. A temporary tooth is placed in the meantime for functional and esthetic purposes.
- A local anesthetic injection is used to numb the affected area, and subsequent drilling is used to prepare it.
- After the drilling site is prepared, the implant is placed there, and 3 to 6 months are given for healing.
- During the waiting period, a provisional denture is given.
- After 3 to 6 months, if the dental implant is well integrated with the bone (as seen in the x-rays), the implant is accessed, a gum former is positioned, measurements are taken, and the case is sent to the lab.
- The implant crowns are delivered thereafter.
How Do You Take Care Of Your Dental Implant?
In the same way you would take care of your natural teeth!
- Brush and floss twice a day.
- Gargle and rinse after every meal. Do not forget to rinse after a quick snack.
- Avoid smoking. The negative pressure in the mouth while smoking, along with the nicotine, can cause havoc to the healing of a dental implant.
- Periodic dental checkups.
Can a dental implant fail?
Studies show a 90%–95% success rate of implants over a 10-year period. The failure rates are low and, if at all, it happens, it can be amended.
Factors affecting dental implant failure :
- Gum disease and uncontrolled diabetes.
- Grinding one’s teeth (bruxism).
- Corrosion, and screw loosening
Why Do Dental Implants Cost So Much?
- You are primarily paying for the implatologist’s training and experience. It takes years of rigorous coaching to work in this precise and technical field.
- The bio-friendly, tiny implant components are expensive.
Quick tip: Find out if your health insurance covers the cost of dental implants!
Benefits of a dental implant:
- Replaces missing teeth without reducing the size of nearby natural teeth or capping them.
- Increases the retention of your loose dentures.
- Crowns are still an option for people without natural teeth for support.
- The best cosmetic choice.
- Excellent success rates.
Latest technology in dental implant treatment:
Oh yes! Dentistry can now give a prosthetic cap over the dental implant on the very same day.
2. Digital workflow:
The clinic has an in-house digital scanner. Digital dentistry is booming in Canada. The 3shape TRIOS wireless impression scanner can take a quick scan of the dental implant and send it to the lab technician.
3. Esthetics :
Dental Implant Crowns and dental Bridges are available in highly esthetic and completely metal-free zirconia/ceramic options.
A dental implant is probably the only long-term fix for a missing tooth. A successful implant requires a skilled implantologist, a tech-savvy technician, and a motivated patient. Book a dental appointment easily through our website, or just give us a call and speak to a member of our team who will be happy to assist you. Magnolia Dental is the winner of the Best Dental Services Award. Have a look through our patient testimonials to see why so many have picked Magnolia to be their dentist in Waterdown.